Friday, October 5, 2012

Meet fellow Highland Press author, Amy Blizzard

Who are some of your favourite authors?

There are so many wonderful talents out there that it is hard to narrow the field. But I have a great deal of respect and admiration for: S.E. Hinton, Debbie Macomber, J.K. Rowling, Hannah Alexander, Tess Gerritsen, Lurlene McDaniel, Marianne Forkin and Janet Evanovich. If I have even a mere ounce of the talent any of them possess I will consider myself lucky.

If you could time travel back, or forward, for one day, where would it be and why?

If given the opportunity to travel back in time, I would want to be a little girl again and spend time with my grandfather. As a child, I was often his shadow: accompanying him to the grocery store, sitting beside him on the front porch while he completed a crossword puzzle, etc.

It would not necessarily matter where we went or what we did. I would just want to hear his voice again and hold his hand.

How many books have you written? Which is your favourite?

I have written three books. The first published was a young adult novel titled A Home on the Other Side, followed by the historical romance The Doctor's Daughter and A Season for Romance, which is a collection of holiday-themed novelettes.

My favorite is probably The Doctor's Daughter. It was the first novel I wrote after leaving my teen years behind and entering my twenties. Looking back, I think there is a maturity in that piece which was lacking in my earlier work.

I also loved all of the leading and supporting characters and enjoyed creating individual backgrounds which were fitting  for the time period. Writers are often plagued with self-doubt, and while I don't believe The Doctor's Daughter is a masterpiece, I  do feel confident that it was a reflection of the best I was capable of at the time.

In which genre do  you prefer to write and why?

I have always loved the young adult genre and have a soft spot for it. But I have found a niche in both historical and contemporary sweet romance. I am drawn to that category of romance because I think it allows a novelist to not only create memorable leading characters but supporting roles as well. Overall, you can expand beyond a romance between two people and create a sense of community.

I also have a fondness for incorporating an aspect of the medical field into my stories. I find medicine fascinating, but I know I could never succeed as a doctor or nurse in the real world. I suppose writing about fictional medical professionals is my way of occasionally living vicariously.

Can you give us some details about your upcoming release/s?

Yes. I have two novelettes coming out with Highland Press in the near future. The first will be a holiday-themed sweet romance A Christmas Vow in the anthology All Wrapped Up, which will be released later this year. The second will be the inspirational historical Lessons to Learn, it will be featured in the anthology The Miracle of Love.

When you are not writing, what are your hobbies, passions, etc?

I have a passion for the creative arts in general. I love music, art, theater and literature. Though I love it all, I am especially fond of musicals. One of my favorite ways to perk up on a gloomy day is watching concert footage from The Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables anniversary specials.  

But more importantly, I cherish spending time with my canine kid, Angel.
  
Bio:

Amy Blizzard is a freelance writer and Indiana native. Her passion for the creative arts began at an early age and is still actively thriving.

In addition to writing fiction, she has worked as a music journalist. For three years, she was a staff member for the music publication and online radio station 'Dixie Streams', where she eventually earned the title of associate editor.

She has published three novels: A Home on the Other Side, The Doctor's Daughter and A Season for Romance and appeared in six Highland Press anthologies: Recipe for Love, Flames of Gold, On a Cold Winter's Night,  Hot Cocoa for the Heart, Love Under the Mistletoe and Comfort and Joy.

Excerpt: The Snowflake Ball, one of the novelettes featured in A Season for Romance

           Woody Larson whistled happily to himself as he wandered through the halls of Indianapolis Medical, wishing a Happy Holiday to all of the patients and employees who passed him. When he reached the door that read ‘ER Lounge’ he strolled inside, greeted by the frazzled voice he had been unable to forget since he first heard it yesterday afternoon.
“There has to be someone who can do it!” Dr. Chloe Miller practically yelled into the telephone as she paced the floor. “Can’t you spare an intern? Or a nurse? How about a janitor?” She paused and gave a defeated sighed. “All right, I understand. Thanks.”
“Sounds like you’re in a bit of a bind.”
Chloe quickly spun around, startled when she saw him standing in the doorway. “You-you, you’re the patient from last night. What are you doing in here, Woody?”
He smiled back at her as intrigued by the hazel eyes sparkling behind her glasses as he had been yesterday. “I asked one of the staff members up front where I could find you and they sent me back here. You look a little different than I remember, Chloe,” he commented, glancing at the baggy red jumper that drug the floor and unruly white wig hiding the soft strawberry-blonde curls he was hoping to touch again.
She crossed her arms and emitted a low groan. “Don’t remind me. You still haven’t answered my question. What are you doing here?”
“I had to come back to see you. That’s what you told me to do if I had any problems.”
“Oh, no, I didn’t mean that you had to come back to literally see me. You need to go back to the ER. You obviously can’t have your hand treated in the employee lounge.”
“That’s all right. My hand isn’t the reason why I’m here.”
“Excuse me?”
“The problem has nothing to do with my hand; you did a fine job stitching it up. It’s another problem I need your help with.”
“Is this some kind of joke? Because I really don’t have time for it.”
Woody shook his head. “No joke. Ya’ see I’m in a bit of a dilemma. Tonight is the Snowfall Ball, the annual holiday gala that all the firefighters in the city attend each winter down at the Community Center outside Circle City Park. And I am without a date.”
“Dilemma,” Chloe muttered as fire began to dance in her eyes. “That’s what you call a dilemma?”
“I realize it may sound unimportant. And in the grand scheme of things a ball definitely isn’t a priority in life. But if you saw how my buds at Ladder 48 would mock me until the next Snowflake Ball, you may find it in your heart to take pity on me and join me tonight at seven.”
“We discussed this yesterday. You’re a patient! Any involvement I had with you began and ended yesterday.”
“I was a patient,” Woody clarified. “And now I’m not.”
Chloe released a ragged breath. “Why are you so persistent?”
“Because I’m interested, and if I may be so bold, I think you are, too.”
“What? Why on earth would you think that?”
He smiled easily. “Because you called me ‘Woody’, you remembered my name.”
“I have a very good memory,” Chloe retorted, turning away from him when her cheeks began to flame with color. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have my own dilemma to deal with.”
“Maybe I can help. What’s your problem?”
“Santa.”
“Really? He always seemed like such a jolly, generous guy, it seems hard to believe he’d be going around causing problems at this time of year with Mrs. Claus.”
“Santa isn’t causing the problem, he is the problem. There is a unit full of kids upstairs expecting to see the big guy in the red suit in fifteen minutes and all I have is a red suit. Dr. Ross came down with a sudden stomach virus, I’ve spent two hours trying to find someone else and-”
Wide-eyed, she stopped speaking and turned back to face Woody. “Are you busy today?”
“Other than trying to talk a reluctant pretty lady into being my date tonight, I’m free.”
“You just got plans,” Chloe informed him as she walked up, stood on her tiptoes and slipped a traditional floppy red and white Santa hat over his wavy brown hair, “and a date. "

 I'd like to thank Jean for having me and helping her fellow authors with this great blog.

It's a pleasure, Amy. Great to meet you.

 

2 comments:

  1. Amy, I'm also a lover of the creative arts, have been a musician all my life and spent plenty of hours treading the boards. And musicals are the best! I love the title, "The Snowflake Ball". Congratulations on the new release!

    ReplyDelete