Saturday, May 24, 2014

Exploring Prince Charming and the perfect man

Hello Rebecca, and welcome to Adventures in Authorland. Please get comfortable and tell us about your adventure.
Rebecca Heflin

What inspired you to write your first book?
A midlife crisis. Crazy, huh? I was having a tough time adjusting to some recent changes in my life, and found myself in a very unhappy place. I'd always wanted to write, but never had the courage to do it. A friend strongly encouraged me to give it a try, thinking it might help me out of my funk. She was right. Once I'd finished the book, I set a goal. Get published before my 50th birthday, two years away. I succeeded in getting two books published by the age of 49.

What book are you reading now?
The Collector by Nora Roberts. Nora is my hero. I want to be just like her when I grow up. ( :

Who are some of your favorite authors?
Nora, as I said. But I also love Kristan Higgins, Jill Shalvis, Julie James, Lisa Kleypas, Jodi Thomas -- whew -- and many more. And of course, I can't forget Jane Austen.
 
Have you ever travelled to a place and come away with a story unexpectedly?
Oh yes. A trip to Oxford, England, inspired my first book, The Promise of Change. My second book, Rescuing Lacey, was inspired by a trip my husband and I took to Costa Rica. We recently took a trip to Sonoma. The story that trip inspired is in the que. Travel is my strongest inspiration.

Do you have any advice for new writers beginning their journey?
Write, write, write. Read, read, read. Read in the genre you'd like to write in. Learn from the masters of your genre. Take workshops, read books on craft, join writing groups and/or critique groups. Enter contests once you've written something to submit. I learned more from contest feedback, than from any other tool. And don't give up. If it's something  you really want to do, keep at it.

Have you ever cried during a movie? If yes, which one and why?
Oh my yes! Oodles of them. Terms of Endearment was probably the first one that made me cry. Another one that comes to mind is Hope Floats. My father had recently passed away, so the scene where she danced with her father turned on the waterworks. I sobbed like a baby during My Girl. I also cry during happy movies, often true stories, like The Blind Side. When I empathize with the characters, when their struggles become my struggles, my emotions take over.
 
BLURB: Dreams of Perfection



           What if perfection isn’t truly perfect?
           Best-selling romance writer, Darcy Butler, is holding out for perfection in the form of her own carefully-crafted heroes. Once blissfully engaged to be married, Darcy’s post-traumatic commitment phobia is depriving her of the very thing she wants most: her very own happily-ever-after. Now, here she is just six months shy of her thirtieth birthday, and not a Prince Charming in sight.
            Successful lawyer, Josh Ryan, is the boy-next-door with a soft spot for the less fortunate, and Darcy’s best friend without benefits. Darcy often comes to him lamenting her love-life, or the lack thereof, whereupon Josh patiently doles out his sage advice. Problem is Josh is in love with Darcy.
            But when Darcy finds herself looking into the handsome face of the man who graces the cover of her soon-to-be-released novel, she’s convinced her dreams of perfection have come true. Or have they?

EXCERPT:: DREAMS OF PERFECTION
Darcy Butler sat across the table from her blind date in a trendy new SoHo restaurant contemplating the fact that he was no Blake Garrett. Blake was . . . perfect. But why wouldn’t he be? After all, she’d created him.
Listening with half an ear, she nodded at something he said. Her date was handsome, polite, successful, charming even. He had good taste in food, wine, and from the looks of his expensive suit, clothes as well. But the comparisons continued, and she found him lacking at every turn. Robert, or Russell, or something that started with an ‘R’ asked her a question.
She could hear her mother’s well-deserved admonishment. He’s buying you dinner. The least you can do is remember his name.
Focus, Darcy.
“What do you like to do with your free time?” He gazed into her eyes, clearly trying to make a connection.
“I love going to Yankees’ games,” she said, excited that the season started that week.
“Baseball? Really?”
“Yeah, do you like baseball?” Her excitement rose at the prospect of finding a fellow baseball lover. Provided, of course, his loyalties didn’t run in the wrong direction.
“No. I find baseball boring. Too much standing around. I prefer boxing or hockey, something with a little action.”
Okay—first—baseball boring? Her excitement fell in proportion to the rise in her blood pressure. Second, boxing? Hockey? Where guys beat the crap out of each other? Did she want to date a man with a proclivity for violence?
All right, all right. Down, girl. Maybe she could educate him on the subtleties of baseball, the beauty of a breaking ball, the rarity of a no-hitter, the excitement of a bottom-of-the-ninth-down-by-three-full-count-with-two-outs-and-bases-loaded game. Help him see the light.
“Do you like boxing or hockey?” he continued.
“No. Sorry. I don’t.”
The clatter of silverware against china, the clink of glasses, and the low hum of conversation from other diners did nothing to diminish the uncomfortable silence that descended. “So”—he cleared his throat—“Laura tells me you’re a writer. What do you write, fiction, non-fiction? Murder mysteries? I love a good murder mystery.”
He signaled to the waiter for another gin and tonic. His third so far, but who’s counting.
“No, I write romance.” Was that an eye roll?
“Seriously?” he asked, his highball glass poised halfway to his mouth.
That was definitely an eyebrow lift, and not the wow-that-intrigues-me sort of lift, but the you-can’t-be-serious sort of lift. “Yes, really. I’m a New York Times and USA Today best-selling romance author,” she said, with no small amount of pride in her voice. “In fact, my latest book, The Doctor’s Dilemma, will be out in a few months.”
“That’s, um, great.”
“You seem surprised, and not pleasantly.” She tilted her head.
“Well, I mean,” he stammered, “Laura said you had a B.A. in Creative Writing from Columbia, and, well, using it to write books about half-naked men and heaving bosoms seems . . . a waste.” He made no further attempt to hide the disdain in his voice.
Her blood pressure soared, not to mention her temper. She set down her glass of Chardonnay so she could make her point without the risk of throwing the wine in his face, and propping her elbows on the table, leaned forward.
“Romance is serious business. Did you know that romantic fiction has the largest share of the U.S. consumer market? That romantic fiction generated over one billion, that’s billion with a ‘b,’ dollars in sales last year? That almost seventy-five million people read at least one romantic novel a year? And that includes men.”
He held up his hands in surrender. “Okay, okay. I get it. It’s a money thing.”
“No, it’s not a money thing,” she replied with a dash of snark. “I happen to love what I do. And so do my fans. All three hundred thousand of them.” Wow, I really need to get a grip. She’d caught the unwelcome attention of neighboring diners.
Mr. R.—and ‘R’ didn’t stand for ‘Right’—glanced around as if seeking the closest exit. His phone rang—one of those sultry sax tones—and from the look on his face, he welcomed the interruption. Excusing himself from the table, he stepped outside to take the call.
Darcy snatched up her phone and texted Laura, the instigator of this blind-date-gone-wrong.
He hates baseball. How could u?
Momentarily her phone buzzed.
How am I supposed to know he hates baseball? And who cares? He’s cute! And rich.
Darcy dropped her phone into her purse as Mr. R. approached the table.
“I’m sorry, I’ve got to go. My sister’s in labor. Twins.” He gave Darcy a lame smile.
She couldn’t tell if he was lying or not, but if he was, he got an ‘A’ for creativity. Either way, she didn’t care. The evening couldn’t end soon enough as far as she was concerned. “Well, congratulations.”
Darcy stood as he tossed a hundred dollar bill down on the table. “This should take care of it. I’m really sorry. Good luck with your new book.” And with that, he left.
Well, another one bites the dust. She sat back down with a sigh, before signaling the waiter. “I’ll have a Grey Goose Cosmo, and the Ahi tuna salad, with the dressing on the side. Oh, and the melting chocolate cake for dessert.” Since Mr. R. was buying, she might as well eat.

About Rebecca:
Rebecca Heflin is an award-winning author who has dreamed of writing romantic fiction since she was fifteen and her older sister snuck a copy of Kathleen Woodiwiss' Shanna to her and told her to read it. Rebecca writes women's fiction and contemporary romance. When not passionately pursuing her dream, Rebecca is busy with her day-job as a practicing attorney.
Rebecca is a member of Romance Writers of America (RWA), Florida Romance Writers, RWA Contemporary Romance, and Florida Writers Association. She and her mountain-climbing husband live at sea level in sunny Florida.

Visit Rebecca at:



  

10 comments:

  1. What a great interview. I, too, started writing in my late 40's with the goal of being published at 50 and I was only mine was children's picture books and six-word memoirs! Now, that I'm all grown up, my first novel is coming out.

    I still can't believe how prolific you are, Rebecca, with a full-time demanding day job. Congrats to you! I'm excited to read more of your work.

    Finally, I love the name of this blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to learn to proofread. "...at 50 only mine was..."

      Delete
    2. Hi Beth. Congratulations on the release of your first novel! Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the interview, Rebecca...Best wishes with your book!

    ReplyDelete